Monday, January 20, 2014

Stash Busting Bag Making


For many years I have been collecting fabrics with animal themed fabrics. They have come from shops, craft fairs, patchwork trips with the patchwork group and flea markets. The pile has grown steadily over the years.  A lot of these being fatquarters but some are by the meter. About six months ago I thought it was time that I did something with some of these fabrics.  I had just acquired a bag pattern. 


Making bags is not really my thing but I decided to have ago using a fabric with metallic dragonflies on it.  The bag turned out better than I thought.  I then decided to make one with cheetahs on it and add a machine embroidery cheetah design that I have also had for many years.

Both these bags caused a bit of a sensation with some of my family and friends.  I was asked if I could do one with dogs.  I had a suitable dog print and made one.

Before I knew it family and friends were putting in orders for the bags.  The most popular one being the cheetah.  Luckily I had a couple of meters of that fabric.

 Not only have I been using my stash but I have also dug up buttons, covered button packs and café curtain rings from many years ago and hiding in the back of my cupboard.  Keep things long enough and  they come in handy.

I have done butterflies, cats, dogs, frogs, lions, tigers, zebras, dragonflies and even one with flowers. 

These little bags have been very enjoyable to make. They have made a change from making a large quilt and have put to use fabric that I have had in my stash for many years.

This is my latest one.  It was requested by a friend for her granddaughter who is studying to be a vet.  She had the opportunity to go to India last year as part of her training and as a result got to interact with some tigers.

1 comment:

  1. I love them all but my pick would be the cheetah or zebra, just going on colour but if they weren't there it would be a hard choice between the other two. Love the design of the bag.

    ReplyDelete